Phase Two, started in 2015, has two major goals. The first is the actual commissioning of a statue for the Memorial. This step is on track. The sculptor has been selected, the design identified, and the final contract negotiations have been completed.
The statue will be slightly larger than life at seven-and-a-half feet, and will be a representation of a law enforcement officer presenting a folded United States flag to someone approaching the Memorial.
We expect that the statue will be ready for installation in the Spring of 2016.
The second goal is enhancement of the landscape around the Memorial. The following changes are planned:
- A redesign of the sidewalk surrounding the Memorial will expand the Memorial toward the parking lot. The Memorial ground will be slightly larger, allowing for redesign of the path leading to the Memorial, thus becoming ADA compliant.
- Low and curved walls will be erected on each side of the walkway leading to the Memorial. The Colorado State Seal will be embossed on one side and the Memorial logo on the other. On the face of the wall will be a narrow recessed ledge housing an illuminated blue band symbolizing the thin blue line.
- Stones set into the ground will form the base of the Memorial and the pathways surrounding it. These stones will be etched with the names of major donors to the project.
- There will be seating inside the walls for visitor convenience.
- The Memorial will be illuminated at night.
The final Phase Two cost will be dependent on sponsor donated services and materials. Roche Constructors Incorporated has agreed to act as project manager / contractor and has donated their fee as an in-kind contribution.